Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Tyrus Thomas makes more than a rookie mistake


I cannot for the life of me figure out what Tyrus Thomas is thinking. After making him the subject for "Terp's Take" on the show today, I thought some more about it afterwards, and the only conclusion I can draw is that he was either drunk, or is a complete idiot.

If it were me, I might lean towards making people believe I was a little sauced, rather than let everyone in the free world know that I may have eaten too many paint chips as a kid.

Consider the facts: When asked by the media about his inclusion in the NBA's All-Star slam dunk contest; Thomas made it clear he was going to put no effort into the event, and even said the only reason he was competing was for the "free money".

How dumb is this guy??? First off, the All-Star game is being held in LAS VEGAS!!! Who in their right mind turns down a free trip to Sin City? Let me tell you, after this year, no way David Stern allows NBA players a weekend in Vegas. I mean, the dude is so concerned about how the players dress and act...how is he going to react after just about everyone in the league spends a few days in Vegas? My guess is that Stephen Jackson won't be allowed within 5,000 miles of NBA All-Star weekend.

Secondly, Tyrus is dissing the money. Fourth place (aka last place) pays $16,000. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the typical Bulls fan would love a guaranteed check of sixteen grand for doing a couple of dunks to entertain millions. But not Tyrus. He's already rich. I mean, is sixteen big ones really worth the time and effort it would take to throw down a couple of dunks? I'm starting to see this guy's side of the argument...

And lastly, I don't care what you think about the contest, Tyrus, but don't open your mouth to the media. Look, I'll admit it, I'm the first one to jump around and cheer when someone says something they shouldn't (thank you Keith Nichol), but it's really just the media's job to take quotes and blow them outta proportion. Not so here. Quit doing our job for us, Ty, don't make it so easy. At least try and mask your disdain for this exhibition of...ummm...skill. Or of just big guys who can jump high.

Ty got fined for his comments, but that fine should and probably will be overturned. If the dude doesn't want to do the Dunk Contest, then he has the right to say so. If he wants to look like a spoiled baby, then go ahead. But what Tyrus doesn't realize is that every fan has a job where they are asked to do things they don't want to do, and there is never a big check at the end of it. And no, those things we are asked to take care of do not include dunking a basketball in Las Vegas. So keep your problems to yourself Ty, some of us have actual life issues to concern ourselves with.

Tell ya what, I'll take $10,000, and spend the other $6,000 on a trampoline and an on-call EMT crew...and I'll guarantee some sick dunks. See ya in Vegas baby, Vegas...I'm so money and I don't even know it...

No comments: