Thursday, May 24, 2007

Happy Memorial Day



As we head into the gateway weekend of Summer, just wanted to say a quick stay safe, have fun, and chill out to the various members of our sports fraternity.

A couple things for you to mull over as you bask in this (hopefully) sunny weather:

-The Pistons need to wake up.
The Cavs are not built to beat them. They are an inferior team. They have one fantastic player and a bunch of other guys whose talents do not complement him. There is no excuse for falling behind by 12 at half in Game 2. They need to stop fooling around, because the Spurs up next. Time to sharpen up.

-Speaking of that one fantastic player the Cavs have... Apparently one radio host that shares our airwaves seems to think that he is all Nike hype and isn't even a Top 15 player in the NBA. Yeah, I'm not making this up. So of course, Bakita, I, and our 4 listeners had to have a discussion about whether that statement is true. As you might expect, the reaction was highly supportive of Lebron, and highly derogatory towards said host. As A. Sherrod Blakely, Pistons beat writer for Booth Newspapers, said, "You may want to check his meds." I personally checked the alcohol content on the Throat Spray that is sitting around the studio, but everything seems normal. Temporary insanity is still being considered. Anyways, Lebron is a no doubter Top 10 player in the NBA. But apparently, I know nothing, because I don't have TWO Pistons in my Top 10. Memo to the wise: Making a cheap, homeristic appeal to your listening audience does not make you correct. Here are the Top 10 players in the NBA right now, listed in LOOSE order:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Tim Duncan
3. Dirk Nowitzki
4. Steve Nash
5. Dwayne Wade
6. Kevin Garnett
7. Lebron James
8. Chris Bosh
9. Tracy McGrady
10. Chauncey Billups

Honorables: Gilbert Arenas, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Amare Stoudamire, Allen Iverson, Pau Gasol, and Michael Redd. (I love Rip Hamilton, but let's not get crazy)

So there you go. Oh, and I stole that list. I nabbed it from someone named Common Sense.

-How bout those Tigers? Geez. I don't know what kind of Memorial Day gift Leyland promised those guys, but whatever it is, the guys want it. Big ups to my main man Carlos Guillen for carrying my fantasy team on his stiff lower back.

-Best of wishes to the Red Wings. Remember when everyone was primed for another early playoff exit? Well I guess these guys weren't. They gave it all, fought through a massive amount of injuries at key positions...I mean, by Game 6 in Anaheim, half the team was made up of Grand Rapids Griffins. And they still almost made it to the Cup Final. Good luck to the boys this offseason, and let's come back stronger.

May your Memorial Day shine on you like an Oberon Sun...I'm out.

No comments: