Monday, March 19, 2007

Reactions from the best gambling weekend of the year...



Between sips of Green Beer, I was able to catch some pretty thrilling games this past weekend.

Even more thrilling for me was the fact that I actually killed in my predictions. It's been years since I've had a bracket this intact, and more than likely it'll be more years before it happens again. I've always fancied myself as a pretty good predictor of college sports; but if a cocker spaniel can out-pick an ESPN analyst, then I don't feel so bad about all the times my sister wiped the floor with me.

Now that the dust has settled around my 40-9 record after two rounds, let's take a look back at a weekend that was:

-My Best Picks: UNLV over Wisconsin, Vanderbilt over WA State, and VCU over Duke :).

-My Worst Picks: Albany over Virginia, Notre Dame over Winthrop, and Arkansas over USC.

-This was the first year that I didn't pick Butler to make some noise. And of course, in fitting poetic irony they go ahead and knock off the Terps and charge into the Sweet 16. However, I have to agree with Ray Hollomon, who says Butler's best player has the body of Olive Oil.

-Ron Lewis of Ohio State has to be the most underrated clutch player on any of Terp's Top 8 Teams Left. Can't get enough of a dude who demands the ball in the huddle, then comes looking for it with seconds left and drains a three under pressure. Ron Lewis is "Cold-blooooodddeeeedddd!!!!!"

-For the first year in a long time, no double-digit team sneaks into the Sweet 16. And I'm telling you now...No team lower than a #3 seed will make the Elite Eight.

-"Upset" Special coming up: I have to put it into quotations because I don't see any more major upsets happening. Best I can do for you is put Texas A&M in the Final Four along with Georgetown, Florida, and Kansas. That means the Aggies beat #2 Memphis and #1 OSU thanks to two straight "home" games in San Antonio.

Terp's Top Eight Teams Left:

(8.) -Oregon: I really like to watch this team, but I don't know if they can get the job done against Florida in the Elite Eight. Just not enough defense or inside presence to get to the Final Four

(7.) -Ohio State: They were lackadaisical against Xavier. They deserved to lose. This team lacks focus. Yet, they are supremely talented.

(6.) -Texas A&M: I know they're one of my Final Four teams, but only because they match up very well against OSU. I wasn't planning on having Memphis face off against the Aggies in the Sweet 16, but I still think A&M is battle tested enough to move on.

(5.) -UCLA: Very talented, just not enough to get it done and get by Kansas in the Elite Eight.

(4.) -Florida: Most everyone has them in the Final Four, and that's because there was no one in their region to challenge them. They're still dangerous, but not hungry.

(3.) -UNC: Deep, talented, and almost guaranteed a Final Four spot next year.

(2.) -Georgetown: Big, tough, athletic, and they play defense. Good luck knocking them out if they decide to lock it up.

(1.) -Kansas: My pick to win it all. Multiple scoring options. Depth. Solid leadership and coaching. They can get out in the open floor, and they can run their sets. If they rebound and play "D" they can beat the Hoyas. I think this is shaking down to be one of the most high-scoring Final Fours in recent memory.

No comments: