Friday, April 27, 2007

NFL Draft: The Circus approaches....




It's coming. There's no getting away.

48 hours of constant coverage, useless interviews, forced laughter, and Mel Kiper's hairspray. Constant comparisons, futile prognostication, tons of backpeddling when a predicted "pick" slides 10 spots. Armani suits, gawdy jewelry (purchased on loan of course), and scripted interviews. Fans packing message boards, executives sitting blank-faced in the war rooms, and the Jets pick getting booed.

All of it is sure to happen. And you know what? I love it.

The NFL draft appeals to me for the same reasons that pro wrestling and The Inferno fill up my TiVo; it's human drama. If I watch it for too long, I'll eventually have to change the channel...but a half hour later I'm right back. There's no denying the allure of the NFL Draft. Even the later rounds. It's the same as if Erin Andrews were to discuss the Pythagorean Theroum...I don't really care, but there's no way I'm not gonna watch.

So enjoy the Draft, kiddies. Nothing like watching an executive who gets paid more money than you'll make in your entire life screw up a draft worse than your half-drunk hillbilly cousin.

The NFL...it's fantastic!!!!

No comments: