Sunday, November 19, 2006

A look back at the Big Game


As much as it pains me, I think I'll have to take a look back at a couple of things that I took away from watching the Michigan-OSU game:

-These are clearly the two best teams in the nation. No question. Both defenses are highly vaulted, and yet an ungodly amount of points were scored. I'd say about 75% of the predictions from callers to our show were blown outta the water by the end of the first half.

-If Chad Henne hits Manningham to go up 14-0 on their second possession of the game, that TD immediately breaks the Buckeye's back. Henne still played pretty well, but that over throw cost us the game in my opinion.

-I hated the personal foul flag for
Crable's hit on Troy Smith, mainly because it's a completely subjective call by an official. If a game of this magnitude is to be decided by a penalty, you hate to see it be one of that nature.

I'm not really a rematch kind of guy, but it really pains me to think of another one-loss team jumping Michigan to play in the National Championship simply because the voters want to see
OSU play someone else. A lot of things still need to shake down, but I'll say right now that even if Notre Dame blows away USC, there is no way they deserve a shot over a team that crushed them. People so quickly forget that Notre Dame was one humongous MSU collapse away from losing two straight.

We'll see how this shakes down, and this is one of the reasons I love college football so much. The bowl systems gets folks so worked up,
arguing about which team deserves a chance to be called a champion. If we had a playoff, we would lose that debate. Of course...then we'd have a legitimate and unquestioned National Champion, but the NCAA doesn't seem to care about that.

No comments: